You will need Adobe Reader to view
and print many of these documents.
- A Japanese-inspired approach to teaching is expanding in the Bay Area by Katy Murphy, published in the Oakland Tribune March 30, 2012. Catherine Lewis, Kathy Schultz (Dean of Mills College) and other Bay Area Lesson Study advocates are featured in this article.
- Lesson Study Works! An Interview with Dr. Catherine Lewis. By Anthony Cody, featured in Education Week October 25, 2011
- Catherine Lewis was featured on CBS Evening News and spoke about how Japanese teachers learn by working with others. See the video here.
- Building Teacher Accountability from the Ground Up. By Anthony Cody, featured by Washington Post Education blogger Valerie Strauss on October 23, 2010.
- Asilomar Lesson Study Conference 2009 proceeding. From Math Village.
- California Capitol Lesson Study Conference proceedings - May
16, 2008, Sacramento, CA.
- APEC - Tsukuba International Conference III proceedings - "Innovation of Classroom Teaching and Learning through Lesson Study," December 9 - 14, 2007,
Tokyo Kanazawa and Kyoto, Japan
- Japanese Lesson Study, Staff Development, and Science Education Reform - The Neshaminy Story, The Science Educator, Spring 2007
Teacher, Spring 2003, Volume 4, Number 3. Articles in this volume
devoted to Lesson Study include, The Essential Elements of Lesson
Study, Researchers in Every Classroom, Lesson Study Advisors, and
Lesson Study in the Northwest.
2002 Lesson Study Conference. Papers and presentations available
- CSP Connection Vol. 2, No. 6, November/December 2002. At many
of the California Science Project regional sites, there are groups
of teachers involved in Lesson Study. They are enthusiastic, motivated
and proving that teachers are engaged and critical professionals willing
to engage with others and examine science lessons.
Currents on-line Vol. 5.2, Spring/Summer 2002 is devoted to issues
surrounding Lesson Study.
- CSP Connection Vol. 2, No. 1, September 2001. In this issue, Catherine
Lewis, Senior Research Scientist, Mills College, details many of the
merits of Lesson Study.
- Independent August 18th, 2001 San Mateo - Foster City local teachers
learn the art of communication.
- Northwest Teacher Spring 2001, Volume 2, Number 2. Lesson Study:
Teachers Learning Together.
- Foundations: A monograph for professionals in science, mathematics, and technology
education. (ESIE at the National Science Foundation), 2000.
Teacher Training Puts U.S. Students Behind in Math, Science Washington
Post, Dec 21st, 2000.
- Does Math Matter? A growing number of observers say a math deficit
among US students threatens economic vitality in a high-tech age.
A three-part series on what's afoot in U.S. classrooms, May 16, 2000.
Teaching Style That Adds Up By David J. Hoff, Education Week,
February 23, 2000.
from the TIMSS Videotape Classroom Study. 1999.